Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Walks in the sun

  I have about five different blog post drafts sitting on file, but due to one unforeseen circumstance after another, have been otherwise "distracted", if you will.

 On the first of January, I wrote a note to this new year on my Facebook wall. It read: "Dear 2012: Let's be friends, and be awesome together".

 The previous year was exceptionally arduous for a multitude of reasons; it began hard, and ended hard. I was determined (and still am) to make this new year a fantastic one. Even if the odds are against me; I am forging optimistic.

 I told myself that there was no way that January would be as disastrous December. Nope. January has to be excellent. "Let's be excellent", I said to Mr. January.

 And, for the most part, the first nine days of January were okay; definitely an improvement from it's predecessor, Mr. December.

Or, perhaps, it felt okay because I started taking long walks in the sunshine to destress, reflect, and remind myself to breathe. 

 Being out in the sun for about five to ten miles a day definitely seems to make a difference. It helped shine some light on a few things, particularly endowing me with the ability to deem myself worthy of happiness.


 And that was huge. Huge, I say. So much so that my doctor, yesterday, noticed the lighter inflections of my speech and said: "Wow! I can see that you're finally starting to see you matter. And you seem lighter now."

That really meant so much to me. As I walked home from that appointment, in the Monday afternoon sunshine (which is so atypical for a January here where I live, but oh-so-very-much-appreciated), I felt...

Grateful.
Empowered.
Calm.
And, yes, Light.

  Then today, the reality of all the doggone disastrous doosies from December came crashing down, and it took everything I could muster NOT to breakdown.

 So, not knowing what to do, and not having anyone to call for help, I shed some tears and took a long walk in the sun.

  And while it doesn't solve the tremendous trials that continue to bombard me, and the perilous predicament it has thus put me in, it does help.

  You don't necessarily have to feel sunshine-y to walk in the sun, and enjoy how good it feels to follow the Sun, even though today - and tomorrow - may rain.

(note: in case you didn't catch my Beatles reference in that last sentence, here's a chance for you to listen to it.)





 





No comments:

Post a Comment